6 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup cream
2 cups milk
½ tsp nutmeg
pinch of salt
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1. Whisk the egg yolks and sugar together in a medium bowl until light and creamy.
2. In a saucepan over medium-high heat, mix the cream, milk, nutmeg and salt together. Stir often until mixture reaches a bare simmer.
3. Add a big spoonful of the hot milk to the egg mixture, whisking vigorously. Repeat, adding a big spoonful at a time, to temper the eggs. Once all of the hot milk has been added to the eggs, pour the mixture back into the saucepan on the stove. Whisk constantly, until the mixture is slightly thickened, just a few minutes remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.
4. Pour the eggnog into a pitcher or other container and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until chilled. It will thicken as it cools. (Optional: For a thinner, completely smooth consistency, add the entire mixture to a blender with 1 or 2 tablespoons of milk and blend until smooth.)
5. Serve with a sprinkle crushed candy cane.
Subscribe to receive the latest updates!
Easy 5-step recipes featuring the freshest and most exciting ingredients from Rustan's Supermarket.