The best summer dessert, bar none. Tart, light, zesty, soft as clouds, and pretty to boot--what more could you ask for?
2 tbps butter
2 tbps sugar
3 egg yolk
3 egg white
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup fresh lemon and dayap
1 tbps lemon zest
1 tbps dayap zest
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
2 tbps all purpose flour
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat the bottom and sides of the ramekin with butter and sugar, tap the excess sugar out after. Boil 1" water in a pan.
2. To make the lemon-dayap curd: Combine egg yolk, 1/4 cup sugar, all purpose flour, lemon and dayap juice, lemon and dayap zest in a metal mixing bowl and put it on top of the pan with boiling water. whisk everything until it forms a thick paste. Cool and set aside.
3. To make the meringue mixture: In another metal mixing bowl, combine egg white, 1/4 cup sugar, and cream of tartar and put it on top of the pot with boiling water. whisk till warm to touch, about 30secs to 1 minute. Using the whisk attachment, whisk in medium speed for 5mins, or until meringue holds soft peak.
4. Combine lemon-dayap curd with the meringue mixture, making sure you don't over mix, gentle folding and cutting until no specks of lemon-dayap curd can be seen.
5. Spoon batter on prepared ramekins, filling all the way to the top and smoothing the tops after. Bake for 12-14mins or until golden brown. Serve immediately.