Bacon and Corn Bread Loaf
250g double smoked bacon
2 1/2 cups cups all purpose
1/2 cup polenta
2 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
4 large eggs
½ cup butter, melted
1 cup milk
1 can whole corn kernels (drained)
1 can cream style sweetcorn
1/2 cup butter
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180°c and grease a standard size loaf tin. Fry the chopped bacon in a very hot pan until slightly crisp. Drain off any excess fat and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, sift all the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl. Beat together the eggs, butter and milk and pour into the dry ingredients. Mix well.
3. Fold in the corn and bacon.
4. Pour into the prepared loaf tin. Place in the oven. Bake for 60-75 minutes until the loaf is golden brown and a skewer inserted comes out clean. If the loaf is browning too fast simply cover with a bit of foil. As ovens vary, your loaf might need a little more time in the oven but it is ready if a skewer inserted comes out clean.
5. While waiting for the corn bread, whip butter and honey for 2mins untill fluffy. Rest in a cool area. After 60-75 minutes, remove corn bread from the oven and allow to cool down for 20 minutes before removing from the tray.
Subscribe to receive the latest updates!
Easy 5-step recipes featuring the freshest and most exciting ingredients from Rustan's Supermarket.